CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
An exciting opportunity has arisen for 1-2 co-editor positions and/or 1-2 associate editor roles, for the International Journal for Academic Development (IJAD). We are looking for colleagues based in Oceania, Africa, the Middle East, or South America to serve in editorial roles. The new co-editor(s) will replace the position currently held by Dr Julie Timmermans (New Zealand), a role that involves collaborating with three other co-editors to offer strategic oversight over the journal. The new associate editor(s) will engage with a team of seven continuing associate editors in a role that offers an excellent introduction to scholarly publishing in academic development. IJAD’s current co-editors, associate editors, and advisory board are listed here. The appointments will be for four years (1 January 2024 until 31 December 2027).
The purpose of IJAD is to enable academic developers in higher education across the world to exchange ideas about practice and research, and to extend the theory of academic development, with the goal of improving the quality of higher education internationally.
IJAD is the premier international journal for academic development (a field also called educational, faculty, or staff development), as suggested by scholarly impact factors and Google rankings of education journals.
IJAD is sponsored by the International Consortium for Educational Development (ICED), and four issues are published annually through Routledge/Taylor & Francis (http://www.tandfonline.com/ijad). The manuscript submission and review processes are managed through the ScholarOne online system.
These roles provide an opportunity to influence the academic development research agenda and to expand linkages between one’s own region and the international academic development community. The positions are voluntary. They involve working to tight deadlines and participating in monthly online meetings.
Because a diverse team is critical to the success of the journal, we would be especially interested in applications from colleagues who are professionally active in Africa, South America, or the Middle East. Academic developers who work in South America, Africa, and the Middle East belong to networks including AFELT (Kenya), EQUIP (Ethiopia), HELTASA (Southern Africa), INCASTHE (Israel), REDCAD (Chile), and YÖMEGA (Turkey). We recognize, however, that diversity goes beyond regional representation.
Applications from individuals who would like to join the team are welcome. The editorial team will make a decision based on the criteria outlined below.
Questions about the position should be directed to Johan Geertsema (firstname.lastname@example.org), Klara Bolander Laksov (email@example.com), Julie Timmermans (firstname.lastname@example.org ), or Mary Wright (email@example.com).
Brief (1-2 page) written expressions of interest should be e-mailed to Dr Kasturi Behari-Leak (firstname.lastname@example.org), current President of ICED and Dr Donna Ellis, President-elect of ICED (email@example.com), no later than 11 October 2023 and should:
a. outline your reasons for wanting to undertake the role,
b. address the selection criteria below,
c. provide the names of two members of the international academic development community who are willing to be contacted as referees, and
d. include your current Curriculum Vitae.
Applicants may express an interest in applying for either an associate editor or co-editor position, but IJAD co-editors reserve the final decision on appointment type.
The following criteria are essential:
- Active scholar in academic/educational/faculty development, with a record of publications in this area
- Passionate about academic development in higher education and committed to encouraging high-quality academic research and publications in the field
- Experienced in editing and publishing and aware of issues associated with editing an international journal
- Excellent organisational and communication skills and demonstrable ability to work to tight deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others (for example, joint publications, grants, member of a national network, etc.)
- Willing to participate in regular editorial meetings through online video conferencing (often scheduled outside working hours in order to accommodate the schedules of editorial team members from different continents)
- Committed to the goals of the journal’s parent organisation, the International Consortium for Educational Development (ICED): http://icedonline.net/
- At the time of appointment, membership in one of the member networks of ICED
In addition, the following criteria are desirable:
- Professionally active in Oceania, Africa, the Middle East, or South America
- Familiarity with online manuscript management systems
- Familiarity with APA referencing, copy-editing, or access to administrative support for copy-editing
- Ability to start by 1 January 2024